Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Moroccan meatballs and Turkish bread

Tonight after work, I mixed 250g of minced beef from Baldwins with a heaped teaspoon each of chopped garlic, paprika and salt. I shaped them into nine balls and put them in a hot oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, I gently fried a heaped teaspoon of whole cumin seeds, half a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes and four diced garlic cloves in olive oil until they gently sizzled. Then I added a can of plum tomatoes and the quartered flesh of two large tomatoes. I brought it to the boil then lowered the heat to a simmer as I added a tablespoon of pomegranate concentrate (from any Middle Eastern grocery), a teaspoon each of salt and sugar and the meatballs. I let the stew simmer gently for 20 minutes. When it was ready, I served it with fresh diced parsley and hot Turkish flat bread. Once again, the addition of pomegranate concentrate lifted the entire dish above the usual tomato-based stew.

A very quick, weeknight dinner.

No comments: