Saturday, April 28, 2007

Friday notes

Random notes from my day, in reverse chronological order.
  • Logging out now, have a good weekend!
  • We were going to go to the New York Fashion Now exhibition at the V&A tonight, followed by dinner at Polish restaurant Wodka. But I'm not feeling very well so it's a night in with a light supper of spaghetti tossed with basil leaves, olive oil, garlic, cherry tomatoes, freshly ground black pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Then one of the DVDs I bought recently - Tony Takitani perhaps, or Performance, Crash or Munich.
  • In my team there is a a guy from Philadelphia, a woman from Chicago, a woman from Germany, a guy from Holland, a guy from Scotland and three of us who are English.
  • I'm annoyed! I had a lovely wander through Soho again during lunch and picked up a whopper of a beef burrito at Beach Burrito Cafe on Brewer Street. My colleagues eat these all the time and I'd never had one. I was happily eating at my desk and was already planning on throwing alot of it away because it is so damn filling. Then the colleague who sits next to me - a Dutch man not known for his tact - said, "You're gonna eat all of that? My God!" He then outlined an hourglass figure with his hands and said, "Oh, it's okay though cause you're married!" First, it's shocking he can say that to any woman (no wonder he's eternally single) and second, the implication that I no longer need to think about my figure now I'm married is blatantly wrong. I ignored the silly man, but from then on I was conscious of every mouthful.
  • It was the New Look store next to M&S on Oxford Street that was ablaze last night. Half of Oxford Street was still closed this morning as there is still the fear the building could collapse. Luckily no casualties have been reported. The street is eerily quiet with no buses or cars on it.
  • I'm preparing for my annual review. One of the questions is What are your four biggest goals for this year? I've found the best way of answering this question is to think of the four things I'm most nervous about doing. In my experience, these tend to be the things I need to do the most.
  • Glimpse is a brilliant site - a search engine for clothes and accessories that functions like an online store, complete with thumbnails of each item. Wish there was a British version.
  • I wonder what would happen if I didn't switch on a computer for the entire duration of this weekend? How would I feel? What would change? What would I do? What would happen if I extended that experiment into my weekday evenings - not turning on the computer after and before work - for a day, for a week? I'd certainly miss recording my activities, but what if I only blogged on my site and didn't look at any others? Thought inspired by this blog entry.

No comments: