Friday, May 11, 2007

A Google nobody

Before I got married, anyone could Google my maiden name and be presented with several pages of me, me, me: my publications record, the websites I had worked on, contributions to industry forums or conferences - in short, my entire career.

Now I've changed my surname, I've dropped out of Google sight. If I apply for a new job or want to be headhunted, undoubtedly I will be Googled by prospective employers and recruitment agencies whose searches will turn up nothing.

There are immediate things I can do of course - set up a new professional website in my new name and redirect my old site to the new one. But the rest of it is lost because I can't go back and append my new name to each and every bibliographic and website mention.

I really am starting over...

No comments: