Thursday, March 27, 2008

Crushes

Olivia recently posted her "Hot List" of sexy celebrity men. I've always been hesitant to share my list with the girls I know because they look at me as if I am crazy. As Olivia pointed out, my heart has always been with another generation despite my own personal hot man being 4 months younger than me.


I fell for the mercurial looks and music of singer David Bowie (top left) before I was a teenager and now in his 60s he is around 30 years older than me. I was captivated by this man who no one ever seemed able to pin down and define; who never seemed to be afraid of trying out new personalities for himself; and who is frightfully erudite and intelligent. My lifelong obsession with him has exposed me to alot of writers, musicians, artists, films and lifestyles.

I fell for the music and looks of singer and poet Leonard Cohen (top right) in my late teens and now in his 70s he is around 40 years older than me. I continue to be drawn by his deep voice, his love of women and spirituality and sex, his poise and elegance. I am so sad I will miss his concert in July.

Playwright and actor Sam Shepard (bottom right) ensnared me with his cowboy looks and Pulitzer-winning writing when I was in my early teens and he too is over 30 years older than me. I loved the fact that he went out with Patti Smith and has settled with Jessica Lange - two women I also had girl crushes on.

Actor Tony Leung (bottom left) is a more recent addition to my Hot List, having first encountered him in Wong Kar-Wai's movies. He's just some 10 years older than me so I am doing well! He has a brooding presence, and... well... he's just hot, period.

I have my girl crushes too, off course. Since I was a child, I've been in awe of actresses Rekha (below left, with another of my childhood hunks Amitabh Bachchan) and Shabana Azmi (below right) and dreamed of looking as beautiful and as elegant as them when I grew up. I wanted the poise and sophistication of actress Catherine Deneuve. I wanted the raw sexiness of actress Jessica Lange (I also wanted her hot life partner Sam Shepard!) and the indie sexiness and über coolness of singer Debbie Harry. My most recent girl crush is Beyoncé - quite apart from her talent, I would love to have a body and mane like hers.


Okay, let's make this a tag - who are your boy and girl crushes and why? They can't just be people you admire; they must be people you find sexy also. I tag you all. Please leave a comment when you've posted so we can check your crushes out.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Wow, your list is much more eclectic and erudite, and quirkier (in a good way) than mine, where I just went for looks! I do have a list of older men, and I'm compiling one of the girls in my head at the moment. Keep an eye out.

Anonymous said...

ooooooooooooh hot!!!!

we must come up with ours too :d