Friday, September 21, 2007

An Autumn stew


This White Bean and Chorizo Stew was so moreish and easy to make after work, I thought I'd share the recipe. It serves 4 (so it lasted us two nights), mopped up with hot Turkish flat bread. M followed it up with a dessert of fresh figs and shot glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice.

2 cans of cannellini beans / 3 bay leaves / olive oil / Enough soft, cooking chorizo, sliced, for 4 people - I used Brindisi / 1 medium red onion, finely chopped / 1 carrot, finely diced / 2 sticks of celery, diced / 2 cans of plum tomatoes / 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped / 3 teaspoons of dried thyme, or more to taste / salt and pepper

1. In a heavy saucepan, fry the onions in the oil for a few minutes, then add in the garlic and celery. Gently fry for another 5 minutes or so until the celery becomes translucent.

2. Add in all the other ingredients, bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes, adding in a little boiling water so the consistency is stew like.

3. Season to taste.

4. Enjoy!

Two parcels arrived at work today, packed with Thai, Japanese and Hong Kong movies on DVD and some Japanese photobooks from the fabulous Yes Asia store. I will blog about them another time as now I want to enjoy them with M.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cooked something very similar to this recently with some chorizo that I brought back from Spain.

I used cannelini beans and chickpeas, used a teaspoon of chilli oil in with the olive oil when I was sweating the onions to add a bit of 'warmth' rather than spice, and added a splash of red wine.

Delicious!

Anonymous said...

Welcome S - and that sounds lovely. We have chilli oil so I might try this variation.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for replying - I enjoy your blog a lot. I also live in London and plan to try a couple of the places you recommend to eat.

I have a question - I see you use mustard oil sometimes. Where did you buys yours from?

S