Friday, December 24, 2004

I want, I want

Is it too late to add these egg poachers to my Christmas wishlist?

I have spent too many hours bringing water to the boil, whisking it furiously into a whirlpool, then dropping the egg in its swirling centre and waiting, in vain, for the egg to poach itself into a pretty little ball. Well, no more.

One of my favourite meals is a slice of thick, crusty white toast, heavily buttered with unsalted Normandy, and an organic egg on top, poached so lightly that the yolk explodes like nectar against the tongue. A twist of rock salt and black pepper. A chilled glass of Bucks Fizz.

Hm, sounds like a perfect Boxing Day brunch.

Other links today:
+ "I want to see the real Japan." Inspired by his 12-year-old son's passion for Japanese pop culture Peter Carey booked a family trip to Tokyo. Could the generation gap be bridged?
+ On being a photographer
+ Tokyo Times. My new favourite blog from Tokyo.
+ The Vice guide to everything
+ John Maeda's Simplicity blog
+ Control of creativity? Fashion's secret. Film and music industries might heed the wisdom.
+ 10 tips on writing the living web. An oldie but still a goodie.

+ Is it true that the word "cowboy" did not originate in the American West?

"The first use of the term cow-boy (it was originally hyphenated) was in England. In the 18th century it simply described a young boy who tended to the cows. The rough and tough adult cow-boy, however, does originate on American soil. But not where you might think.

"Even at the time of the American Revolution, what is now the upscale New York City suburb of Westchester County was hardly part of the wide open spaces. It always had more crabgrass than sagebrush. And the only place it was ever west of was New England. But back then it was the home of many loyalists, or Tories, who sided with the British against the revolting colonists. Among the toughest were the guerilla fighters who signaled their attacks by ringing cowbells, from which they got the name cowboys. Yahoo."

More trivia at Creative Idleness.

+ Radio interviewer: "Now that you have reached 75 have you any advice for our audience about how to prepare for your old age?"

John Cage, irritated: "Why is everyone asking me about old age these days? You know, I do know how to prepare for old age. Never have a job, because if you have a job someday someone will take it away from you and then you will be unprepared for your old age. For me, it has always been the same ever since the age of 12. I wake up in the morning and I try to figure out how am I going to put bread on the table today? It is the same at 75, I wake up every morning and I think how am I going to put bread on the table today? I am exceeding well prepared for my old age."

Via Icograda.

No comments: