Friday, December 03, 2004

Fiddle dee dee

Two friends of mine have just returned to London for two weeks, from Dubai. An English and Pakistani couple with two babies, they had reluctantly moved to Dubai in September to rejuvenate her father's ailing cosmetics business there. By the end of their first week, photos of them had already made it into an issue of Time Out Dubai, cigarettes in one hand and drinks in the other, dancing away at a night club - not, by their own admission, the best first impression to make with prospective business clients or the other parents at their sons' new nursery! Regulars on London's psy-trance club circuit, they're back in town briefly for what looks likely to be their regular London club fix. Dubai has a club scene, but it's not hard enough for them, and in spite of Dubai's cosmopolitan vibe, they still feel the pressure of the city's stark social divisions between the Gucci-clad rich and labouring poor. Their return to London gives them a much-needed break from Dubai's strict social dichotomies. Which is lucky for me, because it means I see them more often, as I did last night.

This evening, I was planning to see the brand-spanking-new digitised classic Gone With The Wind at the NFT, but my God it's so cold here in London, so I opted to watch an old copy on DVD, curled up in the warmth of my sofa at home. I first watched this movie in hospital in 2001, when its lush scenes, vibrant colours, tight editing, artfully-composed camera shots and superbly-plotted (though not very politically-correct) script pulled me through some very dark hours. And it thrilled me again tonight - more so, having just discovered it was produced in a benzedrine haze. I even had a proper intermission for some hot chocolate and cookies (alas, no bennies). Lovely.

I have a stack of old classics on DVD I am planning to re-watch as the weather gets chillier, including three of my all-time favourite movies: Charlie Chaplin's The Gold Rush, Giant with James Dean and Elizabeth Taylor, and The Misfits with last-ever performances by Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable. Plus some newer all-time favourites: The Right Stuff (with, swoon, Sam Shepard), Annie Hall, and Blade Runner. Just what cold winter nights are made for.

Other links today:
+ So why do you blog?
+ Is Truman Capote really remembered for just one book ("In Cold Blood")?
+ Ivory towers should be built on merit. "It is patronising to working-class students to suggest that Oxbridge should 'positively discriminate' in their favour."
+ Should a urinal have topped a 'most influential modern art' poll? They're taking the piss!
+ An amazing compendium of food blogs, an amazing amount of food. My kind of people.

No comments: