Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Silver surfers?

This weekend, I visited my parents in Lowestoft, Suffolk. I was helping them set up their brand spanking new computer and broadband connection. I guess the press would call them "silver surfers", but surely, as more and more older people are going online, this categorisation should be obsolete?

My father has only been online for a few months and is already listening to Bengali music from a Calcutta server and watching the BBC news via streaming media. My mother sent her first email two weeks ago, and is now emailing her family in India and her colleagues at work every day.

The internet is no big deal to them - it's quickly become just another tool for communication. If they don't single the internet out, why should we single them out?

Other links today:
+ Strange news from around the world
+ The European Dream versus the American Dream

No comments: