Saturday, October 23, 2004

Music to my ears

Been completely bored with my own MP3 and CD collection of late, so have been on the hunt for fresh music. Because I've been so busy in my offline life, it's been a while since I've scoured the web and P2P networks for new sounds. So today I've been revisiting my favourite music blogs, starting with my two ultimates Cocaine Blunts and Moebius Rex:

Cocaine Blunts
The best hip hop blog out there. Bleeding my ears: all of it! Okay, how about "Hands in the Air, Mouth Shut" by Lord Finesse.

Moebius Rex
Underground rap, mutant disco, experimental noise, post punk. Bleeding my ears: "Tempura Soul" by Fuka Vincente; "Girls (Rex The Dog mix)" by The Prodigy.

Fluxblog
Pop, indie, garage, damn - everything really. Bleeding my ears: "Wipe that Sound" by Mark E- Curtis and Mouse on Mars; "I Believe in You" by Kylie Minogue and Scissor Sisters.

Soul Sides
Old R&B/soul and underground hip hop. Bleeding my ears: "A Day In The Stuy" by Major Stress; "To Love Somebody" by Nina Simone.

Sissorkick
Fusion rock, dub, reggae, hip hop, global beats. Bleeding my ears: "Untitled 1" by Local 12; "Sweet and Tender" by Medina Green.

Music for Robots
Electronica, punk rock and re-mixed hip hop. Bleeding my ears: "Go Home, Get Down" by Death from Above; "Regicide" by Matmos.

Have also been knocked about by David Bowie's Reality Tour DVD - filmed in Dublin, 2003 - which arrived in the post this morning. Dame Bowie still thrills me and there are some spine-chilling moments on here, principally Fantastic Voyage, Sunday, Battle for Britain, The Motel, Loving the Alien, Slip Away and Five Years. The show ends with blistering performances of Hang On To Yourself and Ziggy Stardust that would make the original Leper Messiah proud. And all for a tenner - perfect!

In between all this music devouring, I also found time to cook so that I won't have to rely so much on takeout during the week. I cooked a feta cheese and mint meatloaf, a courgette and cheese omelette, and a mixed vegetable and red lentil dahl. Gourmet cuisine, they ain't, but they're easy and quick, which is what counts at the moment.

The freezer's stacked with home-cooked grub and myself and my wallet are very happy.

No comments: