Sunday, March 25, 2007

Feeding the body

It's been a good week for eating. On Monday, we met friends after work for an assortment of tapas and paella dishes in our local La Vina. The next night, I joined colleagues for mouth watering dim sum, stir fries and Chinese tea and vodka cocktails at Yauatcha. My favourite was the steamed scallop and kumquat dim sum and stir fried beef strips with mango.

M's time off work is producing lots of delights in the kitchen: he used one of our wedding gifts - the slow cooker - to make a beef and red wine stew; from Fuchsia Dunlop's Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook he's made zi ran niu rou or beef with cumin and xiang cai niu rou si or beef slivers with coriander; as well as a super quick chicken, broccoli and tomato stew.

Tonight, we ate at Mexican restaurant Mestizo. M's choices were spot on: carnitas tacos and lamb shank mixiote, both flavoured just right. My tamales, however, were very bland, and my mole poblano came with poussin, not the chicken breast I asked for, and the sauce was heavy on the sugar and light on the chilli. The service was excellent though.

I fear I have forgotten how to cook!

No comments: