Friday, February 02, 2007

Quick and easy 2

I cooked another quick and easy post-work meal tonight. Once again it was from Claudia Roden's marvellous Arabesque cookery book.

In a heavy-based saucepan, I gently fried an onion and three cloves of chopped garlic in virgin olive oil until they were translucent. Then I stirred in a heaped teaspoon of ginger powder and pinch of saffron strands. I placed two chicken breasts into this mixture and seasoned the mixture with salt and pepper. I added enough boiling water so that it covered the chicken only halfway and simmered for thirty minutes, stirring once or twice and keeping an eye that the mixture didn't run dry. If I were using chicken pieces with bones, I would have simmered for longer - perhaps 45 minutes and covered them with more water.

After half an hour of gentle simmering, I added the grated zest of one lemon, the freshly squeezed juice of a lemon, a medium bunch of chopped coriander, a can of cooked artichoke hearts, and ten pitted green olives. I continued simmering for another 10 minutes and then served it with Basmati rice.

No comments: