Tuesday, November 23, 2004

New year's resolve

Food for me is comfort and nostalgia. Since childhood, it has been the pivot around which family life has spun. Family meals were always rich and varied - vegetable samosas fried on the stove, spinach and chickpea curry, spicy lamb stew, several kinds of lentil dahl, homemade tomato chutney - and my parents fought over who would cook that day.

Food is also a social pastime. Most of my friends are foodies, forever cooking and eating in or out. We're always gathering in the kitchen. And because we come from far-flung corners, there is always a new Chillean casserole to concoct or a Canadian bread to bake.

And of course, food is fraught with tension whenever I even catch a glimpse of the bathroom scales.

I eat out of habit, curiosity and greed. I can't remember the last time my stomach growled through hunger and not digestion.

Maybe I should try Jean-Paul Sartre's recipe for tuna casserole.

Today I resolved, yet again, to eat only when hungry. And when a colleague brought in chocolate digestive biscuits and placed them on the table in the middle of our office, my resolve held strong. Until 11am.

And now the holiday season is upon us...

I know what my New Year's Resolve will be.

Other links today:

+ NYC's 311 operator service with a difference. Why can't we have this in London, Ken?
+ Fantastic rock version of Britney's Toxic by Local H (MP3)
+ Also enjoying this quirky bit of fluff by Neomarxisme (MP3)
+ The top 5 of XFM's Rock School competition has just been announced - the final vote is Friday. Go Outl4w!

No comments: