Monday, January 29, 2007

Lost in chick lit land

It's been a while since I've given myself a few hours to browse round a bookshop, so yesterday, in between consuming food and art, I worked my way around the fiction section of Waterstone's bookstore on Piccadilly.

M grew impatient with me as I picked up book after book and then gradually discarded several as I moved around. Eventually I bought William Boyd's Restless and Junichiro Tanizaki's In Praise of Shadows. I also bought two chick lit books - Amanda Craig's Love in Idleness and Joanna Trollope's Second Honeymoon about a middle-aged mother suffering empty nest syndrome - the latter of which I am too embarassed to read on the Tube but which I avidly consumed last night in bed and have still been engrossed by all day today on the sofa! A guilty pleasure. M bought two Ryu Murakami novels, 69 and Piercing, the latter of which he's also been captivated by all weekend.

M's at an Arsenal match with his dad this afternoon, Hungarian beef goulash is bubbling away on the stove, laundry is drying in the machine, a big mug of green tea is steaming beside me, and I'm lost in chick lit land.

No comments: