Sunday, January 09, 2005

Bounty of books

Spent much of yesterday digging through charity stores for books and struck gold a number of times.

The best finds were a near perfect hardcover of the new Anthony Kiedis autobiography for just £3; the collected short stories of that incandescent fabulist Angela Carter (whose Passion Of New Eve is in my top ten of all time favourite novels); and a slim volume of Octavio Paz's poetry (this was an indulgence - albeit at 50p - because I already own volumes of his impassioned poetry and prose; however, none of them are here in London).

I also bought books by Iain Banks (Dead Air), Ian McEwan (still haven't read Amsterdam and his new novel is out at the end of the month), Wally Lamb (I Know This Much Is True) and Zadie Smith (White Teeth - I didn't enjoy her last novel, but thought I would give her first a go).

Now I just need to stay in more to read them. I'm sure I will, as reading more is one of my resolutions for this year.

Speaking of staying in:

+ The hottest tickets for the new year. "From blockbuster art shows to great gigs and dazzling new plays and films, The Guardian critics present their guide to the 101 unmissable events of the next 12 months."

I'm most looking forward to the Caravaggio, Frida Kahlo, New Art from China, and Africa Remix exhibitions; the new King Kong and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movies, plus the upcoming 2046 by Wong Kar Wai; and Wagner's Die Walkure (if I get a ticket and if it doesn't cost a fortune).

+ And here's The Observer's 50 must-sees for spring. I'm tempted by Kevin Spacey at the Old Vic next month and the Matisse: Art and Textiles exhibition at the Royal Academy. Plus McEwan's new novel Saturday and albums by Beck (I liked his last sombre album but happy to hear his new one is funkier and more upbeat) and Rufus Wainwright (Want Two).

God, I feel so greedy and gluttonous.

No comments: