Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The daily read

Seeing as I spend most of my working day online and on email, I've signed up with the DailyLit, who will send me a chapter a day of Edith Wharton's House of Mirth to my inbox which I can read during my lunch break. There are lots of other choices from, Jack London to Charles Dickens. Seems like a good idea, let's see how I get on.

Update: I got my first installment at work yesterday (above). It popped into my inbox at 12.30pm. 828 words of Wharton magic to read with my sandwiches at my desk and it took me just 10 minutes to read. 153 installments to go - about 5 months worth of reading. M can read several books at once, but I need to immerse myself in a book at a time. I'm reading Alan Hollinghurst's The Line of Beauty on my commute and in bed - a beautifully written modern Jamesian novel about political and gay life among the upper classes in Thatcher's Britain, so the Wharton email read should serve as a refreshing, bite size alternative.

No comments: