Saturday, March 05, 2005

Food, food, food

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child.

It seems all I'm doing these days is eating lots. Of course, I blame it on the weather rather than greed! Today I cooked lunch for friends in St Albans:

  • Chicken thighs and legs roasted with paprika, garlic and mixed herbs
  • French green beans roasted with cherry tomatoes and fresh basil
  • New potatoes fried with bacon and mixed with fresh watercress

All served with hot ciabatta and butter. Even if I say so myself, it was all rather delicious. Perfect comfort food for a cold day. We worked it all off with a brisk walk and play in the park with the children.

The five of us met at Oxford and have known one another for around 10 or 11 years. We don't see each other as often as we'd like but whenever we do it's as if no time as elapsed. There's none of the initial awkwardness or small talk that sometimes arises between friends who have not seen one another in a while. We slip right back into intimate conversation and I always feel my most comfortable with them. I'm incredibly lucky.

On return to London, we had whisky sours, Mochito and mixed fruit cocktails at Soho's Alphabet Bar, then back home to scoff fish and chips and watch Northern Exposure season 1 on DVD.

Foodie bliss.

Food links today:
+ Busman's holiday: Special chef's edition. What chefs eat on their days off or on the road. (Reg. req.)
+ Orangette. Wonderful food blog.
+ French women do get fat. What the bestseller neglects to mention.

No comments: